Sustainability and energy
- Sustainability opportunity assessments (SOAs). Improving a business’ environmental footprint is often thought of as a cost item for the business. However, becoming more sustainable often involves cost savings in areas such as procurement, waste disposal and energy consumption. Our Sustainability Opportunity Assessments identify and quantify a business’s current practices and opportunities for improvement and cost savings.
- Sustainability program development and support. Organizations vary widely in the type of support they need to advance their sustainability goals. Therefore, sustainability assistance and projects take many forms. Our sustainability projects have ranged from developing localvore and fresh-from-the-farm programs to creating and managing staff engagement and office certification programs to energy and material use data gathering and analysis.
- Employee engagement. Creating the right conditions for all members of an organization to be actively involved in the organization’s sustainability efforts results in a more successful program that often benefits other areas of the organization’s mission as well. Employees that are engaged in an organization’s sustainability efforts typically become more committed to the organization and more effective and productive at their jobs.
- Localvore and farm-to-table program development and management. We provide the services to link farmers with chefs and facilitate the process of creating program parameters and marketing efforts for locavore and farm-to-table programs.
- Ecotourism program planning and development. We provide the services to take ecotourism programs and initiatives from the concept phase through implementation plans.
- Bicycle plan, walkability and complete streets development. We work with the responsible organization to develop and facilitate the entire process from work group creation, public input, through recommendation development and writing of the plan.
- Energy and Sustainability Leaders Roundtable. The Roundtable is a member-based regional forum where businesses and institutions meet quarterly to exchange information on their efforts to reduce their environmental and/or carbon footprints.
- Strategic planning. Whether for-profit, not-for-profit, governmental or institutional, having a strong, functional strategic plan is key to the success of organizations, programs and projects. A strategic plan should be a living document, guiding daily implementation and reassessed regularly to ensure that it continues to serve the needs of the program, project or organization. Developing a strategic plan with an eye to sustainability results in a stronger, more action oriented plan.
- Meeting facilitation. We assist groups and organizations in running productive and impartial meetings. We work with the meeting convener to identify meeting goals and design an agenda to achieve those goals. Facilitation serves the needs of any group who are meeting with a common purpose, whether it be making a decision, solving a problem, or simply exchanging ideas and information.
- Program development and implementation. Similar to Sustainability Program Development, we provide the services to organizations that take program ideas from concept through to implementation phases.
- Policy development. We work with organizations and governments to develop a wide variety of policies, ranging from implementation-type policies, such as purchasing policies, to development of new regulatory and non-regulatory approaches.
Other business services
- Permitting assistance. Our role is to help organizations navigate the permitting process, working with them and their technical consultants, to work their application through the system as quickly and problem-free as possible.
- Grant writing. We work with clients to develop their project concepts into fundable proposals. We have written and successfully obtained both programmatic and competitive grant funding for various governmental and private organizations and businesses from state and federal agencies.
- Technical writing and editing. On topics ranging from land use planning to biotechnology, we work with our clients to convey information in the most clear and effective manner possible. We analyze complex information and present it in a format that is easy to read and understand.
- Business process redesign. We work with organizations to overhaul key business processes and organizational structures to achieve increased efficiencies and effectiveness based on targeted performance measures.